Waterloo Location Available!
ACUTE Head Office
730 Bridge Street, Unit 3
Waterloo, Ontario N2V 2J4
Face Coverings are mandatory during some elements of training. Please bring your own face covering, if possible.
Time: 8:30am – 4:30pm
A Joint Health and Safety Committees (JHSC) is a committee of at least two persons, who represent the workers and the employer at a workplace. Their primary role is to identify workplace health and safety problems and bring them to the attention of the employer. This certification involves training in health and safety law, and the identification, assessment, and control of hazards.
Standards for this training are set by the Ministry of Labour and the ministry also certifies JHSC members who complete approved training programs.
Who should enroll in this training program?
Section 9 of OHSA requires a JHSC at:
- Any workplace that regularly employs 20 or more workers;
- Construction projects expected to last three months or longer with 20 or more workers;
- Any workplace (other than a construction project) to which a designated substance regulation applies;
- Any workplace where an order has been issued under OHSA section 33, dealing with toxic substances; and
- Any workplace where the Minister of Labour orders one to be established.
Workplaces with more than five but less than 20 workers are not usually required to have a JHSC. Instead, workers must select a person from among themselves to be a health and safety representative.
The Occupational Health and Safety Act, Subsection 9(12) requires most workplaces with 20 or more workers to have at least one worker and one management person serve as certified members of a workplace Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC).
JHSC Certification Part 2 must be completed within six months of JHSC Certification Part 1 training.*
A one-day refresher is required every three years to keep your JHSC Certification.
For further information, please contact us directly at email@example.com
*The Chief Prevention Officer may grant a one-time six-month extension to complete Part 2.