Lift Truck Operator
Note: Participants must wear appropriate footwear.
For this course, we conduct the training at your facility to ensure the best custom training for your staff. By completing the training on-site it will also help to save you travel costs, and the additional time needed to travel to a training facility.
Regulations made under Ontario’s Occupational Health and Safety Act require that an employer ensures that the powered lift truck operator is a “competent person”. This training program will teach employees the knowledge and skills required for safe life truck operation as laid out in the “Ministry of Labour’s Guideline for the Safe Operation and Maintenance of Powered Lift Trucks”.
In our interactive eight-hour training program, your staff will learn the essential principles involved in the safe operation of a lift truck. Participants will learn about the limitations that affect truck stability and safe loading criteria. Operators will be able to recognize the hazards ahead of time that present a risk to themselves and those around the truck. A complete understanding of the fundamentals of handling high-risk loads as well as the legal responsibilities associated with lift trucks will also be covered.
Training program topics include:
- Classes and types of lift trucks
- Relevant legislation
- Lift truck features and safety equipment
- Basic hydraulics
- Pre-operational inspection
- Start-up (mounting and dismounting)
- Stability principles of lift trucks
- Travelling without a load
- Travelling with a load
- Capacity and load charts
- Load handling (picking up a load)
- Load lifting and handling—elevated level–stacking
- Operating hazards and precautions
- Refueling (propane exchange only) and recharging (battery hazards)
- Shutdown procedures (parking)
You will learn by:
- Classroom interaction with experienced instructors
- Exploring legislative requirements
- Demonstration and hands-on training on a specific class of lift truck
- Practical skills testing evaluation on the class of lift truck located at your workplace
- Detailed handouts, videos and quizzes
Who should enroll in this training program?
Supervisors, lead hands, lift truck operators, and health and safety committee members/ representatives.
Training Program Duration
1 Day (8 Hours)